|About the Book|
GLENWOOD CAVERNS and the HISTORIC FAIRY CAVES is a history book, a geology book, but above all else, a picture book. It is in large format, (magazine size), to allow the display of over 30 magnificent photographs of the formations within the caverns. The historic portion of the caverns, known as the Fairy Caves, was originally opened to the public in 1886. The Fairy Caves were the worlds first caves to be illuminated by electric lights. The caves remained open until 1917. They closed on the eve of Americas entry into the First World War, and remained closed for 82 years.After the discovery of several magnificent new rooms, and an astonishing amount of work by the new operators of the caverns, they were reopened to the public in the spring of 1999.